DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

A codec for the forum?

DRC Forum
» Community Forums
    » Forum Improvement Suggestions
        » A codec for the forum?
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Iceman

Thursday, December 28 2006, 14:42:15 #38761     A codec for the forum?

Was just wondering if it is possible to somehow incorporate a video codec into the forum with its own tags?

To elaberate a little more, we can view Google and YouTube videos that will display on the forum, but is it possible to have is so the forum has its own codec to play video's that we upload to private hosting (i.e. not YouTube or Google)?

Was just curious....
Profile | Send PM

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Death

Thursday, December 28 2006, 17:57:23 #38762     

Hmm, with no offense meant Iceman, what is the point of that? We can view them with the google/youtube tags. Why not just keep it like that?
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, December 28 2006, 20:01:11 #38770     

I can create a bbtag that will display embedded videos in SWF (flash, like youtube) format or NSV (Winamp streaming), but you would need to use a codec on your computer to code movies to those formats. We would need a dedicated server to implement youtube-like service, since trans-coding movies from MPEG to flash takes a lot of CPU and requires an ability to run executable files on the server, which we can't do on a shared hsoting.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Iceman

Friday, December 29 2006, 01:51:56 #38773     

|DRC| Death wrote:
Hmm, with no offense meant Iceman, what is the point of that? We can view them with the google/youtube tags. Why not just keep it like that?

Non taken. I was just trying to think of a way of creating our own youtube like service thats all.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Iceman

Friday, December 29 2006, 01:55:53 #38774     

|DRC| Wartex wrote:
I can create a bbtag that will display embedded videos in SWF (flash, like youtube) format or NSV (Winamp streaming), but you would need to use a codec on your computer to code movies to those formats. We would need a dedicated server to implement youtube-like service, since trans-coding movies from MPEG to flash takes a lot of CPU and requires an ability to run executable files on the server, which we can't do on a shared hsoting.

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't realize that the movies would need to be viewed in a specific format. Now that you have explained it, and if I am understanding this right, it would be no doubt quite expensive for the bandwidth and server to stream video.

Was just a thought, but doesn't seem very practical now Smile
Profile | Send PM

Jump to