DRC - Digital reality crew logo
DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Apple iPad vs brand new Amazon Kindle DX !!!!

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » Apple iPad vs brand new Amazon Kindle DX !!!!
            » Page 1 of 1

Ebooky

Tuesday, July 6 2010, 21:01:49 #43031     Apple iPad vs brand new Amazon Kindle DX !!!!

iPad vs. Kindle: Hesitation and comparison.

Reading digital books on "e-readers" like the Amazon Kindle is becoming increasingly popular. The iPad acts like an e-reader and like a personal computer, but there are some notable differences between the two.
With the launch of the iPad , many have been proclaiming the death of e-book readers like the Kindle . However, the comparison isn't actually quite so simple and could potentially leave Apple hurting.

Ever since Steve Jobs first announced iBooks for the iPad, pundits have been wondering about the future of the Kindle and similar e-book readers in the face of this new competition.

The iPad is a non-stop source for consuming updated news feeds, is a phenomenal casual web surfing device, is great for viewing and listening to streamed media, has freed me from my desktop for at least 3 or 4 hours during the work week and has allowed me to relax with technology over the weekend and evenings. In that respect, the device has already justified its purpose. But certain format of online video, called Flash, does not play on the Apple iPad.

There's an aesthetic difference, too: The iPad will display books horizontally, with two pages showing, or vertically, zooming in on a single page of text. The Kindle only works in vertical mode.

The Kindle DX has free 3G wireless for buying books, but the iPad has 802.11n, and for most common usage, it just isn't that hard to find a place to hook up. Book prices may be a bit higher on the iPad, but they will be in color and multimedia with the promise of moving video, color charts and pictures, and so on. I also consider the on-screen keyboard an advantage for the iPad -- the keyboard on the Kindle is basically a waste of space.

iPAD FROM APPLE ( Click picture for detailled description )

Apple iPad video review : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ct09-eJNA

As a travel companion, all you can do on the DX is read, although there is a rudimentary browser, and more functionality coming. Subscriptions are another Kindle selling point, but it's not a stretch to believe that Apple has something like that coming as well. Comparing the iPad to the Kindle DX, I just don't think there is any contest, and Amazon is going to be forced to think about how they are pricing and marketing the Kindle DX.

Some magazines and newspapers have said they hope the iPad will help save their struggling industries. A number of them have reformatted their publications for the iPad's screen and are offering new digital subscription plans.

OK, on to the standard issue Kindle at U.S. $259.00. This decision is a bit trickier. It's about half the cost of the low end iPad, has a smaller screen, but does have built in no-charge 3G. That's mainly for buying books, as web browsing is pretty painful. Once again, books seem a bit cheaper on the Kindle at this stage, but I've noticed prices creeping up. Battery life with wireless off is about 2 weeks, and the iPad can never touch that.
The iPad starts at $499, but if you want data, the price starts going up rather quickly. 3G versions of the device come at a $130 premium (so the cheapest device with 3G is $629), and a data plan costs at least $14.99/month.

KINDLE DX FROM AMAZON ( Click picture for detailled description )

Kindle's review video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeLNwNV_iig

The Kindle, meanwhile, comes with free, worldwide 3G coverage baked in. It doesnt do nearly as much as the iPad, but it will always be connected without requiring you to shell out a penny more. Because the smaller, 6″ version of the Kindle is priced at $259, and still comes with free, global 3G coverage, the Kindle definitely wins on price.

For the immediate future, Amazon has far more books on offer. Many classic titles for free !!! If you have the smaller Kindle, I would not have anxiety about the iPad if you are mainly a reader. If you have the DX, I'd feel a bit queasy.

The iPad appears to be adequate for light daytime indoor reading, but fails miserably as an outdoor reading device. Vizplex e-Ink readers such as the Kindle, still appear to be much more optimal for long duration reading indoors and outdoors during daytime hours.

It's likely you'll be able to read your Kindle books on the iPad, just as you can on your iPhone or iPod touch, but they'll be black and white, with no rich illustrations.

Easy and fast comparison table of iPAD/Kindle:

The iPads battery life, according to Steve Jobs, is an impressive 10 hours, and it has an even more impressive one month of standby time. Still, its likely that getting the full 10 hours means doing things that negatively affect the experience (like lowering screen brightness, turning off WiFi, not playing video, etc.). The Kindle, on the other hand, can give you a full week of reading time with wireless on, and two weeks with wireless off.
If all youre interested in is reading a book, the Kindle might be the better choice, allowing you to take a week-long vacation without bringing the charger. Your iPad might be dead by the time to step off the plane or even before that, if youre on a long flight with a few layovers or delays.

If you are searching to buy a wireless reading device check out this useful site:

This site should give you the feedback needed to learn everything you need to know of electronic book readers. I hope my site about wireless reading devices helps you finding the right one. I love this technology.

See you later...

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

Jump to