DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Buyers Guide/Product Review: Oil pans Civic: Moroso Vs. OBX

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Automotive
        » Buyers Guide/Product Review: Oil pans Civic: Moroso Vs. OBX
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| psycheus

Monday, December 18 2006, 20:06:03 #38589     Buyers Guide/Product Review: Oil pans Civic: Moroso Vs. OBX

Buying Guide/Product Review: Upgraded Oil Pan Review [Moroso Vs OBX] (for 95 Honda Civic EX 1.6l D16z6 motor)

Summary: As I found myself shopping for an upgraded oil pan for my 95 Honda Civic I had a few things in mind that I was looking for in the product. I wanted the extra oil capacity for my newly purchased oil cooler and filter relocate kit as well as the upgraded turbo system from Greddy I was going to install. Oil return and temperature bungs where a big plus, as it saves time in having to weld them into place. Aluminum seemed to be the norm for all the upgraded pans that I've seen. Now let's look at the two different products I was able to find avalible for my car.

Moroso Oil Pan (Part # MOR-20908)
-------
Cost: $359 + $60 for oil pick up which wasn't included

Kit Includes: Oil pan and all mounting hardware (studs and nuts).

Pros: Great welds and construction in general. Sturdy and well engineered.

Cons: Wasn't just a bolt on and some modifications where required to make it fit. The holes didn't line up and had to be drilled out a bit. The oil pick up wasn't included and still required some modifications to make fit. Was much better construction then the OBX, flange was the right size however I had to make the holes a tad bigger (5/16" I believe). The bracket on this wasn't much better then OBX and didn't exactly line up. Both where a disappointment. Atleast the OBX was included with the pan.

Summary: Very nice aluminum piece and good construction. Would recommend to anyone that needs the extra oil capacity for turbos or coolers.

Moroso's Spec:

- Kicked-out sump that increases oil capacity to 5.5 quarts
- Fully fabricated for exceptional strength and to provide several design advantages over stock-core pan; aluminum construction is lightweight and helps dissipate heat
- Works with OEM exhaust manifold and most aftermarket exhaust/header combinations
- Turbo/Supercharger oil drainback
- Features a magnetic drainplug and temperature sensor bung provision
- Use with stock Honda oil pan gasket
- Clear zinc plating for durability and corrosion resistance
- Dual trap-door baffles allow oil to flow into the pickup area during hard acceleration and keeps it there under braking to ensure constant oil supply and oil pressure
- Double kicked-out sump increases capacity to 5.5 quarts, while maintaining stock depth for ample ground clearance
- Removable sump tray allows for easy cleaning, cools and de-aerates return oil and keeps excess oil off of the rotating assembly to prevent horsepower-robbing windage
- Includes 1/2" NPT bung at rear for fitting a temperature sender and 1/2" NPT bung at front for plumbing an oil return line for turbos (also includes two 1/2" NPT plugs if required)
- Includes magnetic drain plug with extra copper washer, pan mounting kit with hex-drive steel studs to eliminate stripping the engine block and serrated-face flare nuts to withstand vibration
- Accommodates stock pan gasket and dipstick with existing oil level marks

OBX Oil Pan (Part # OP001)
-------
Cost: $195 (oil pick up included)

Kit Includes: Oil pan, all mounting hardware (studs and nuts) and an oil pick up.

Pros: Cheap and for those on a tight budge is a must. It is aluminum and did actually come with the oil pick, unlike Moroso.

Cons: Sloppy welds. Wasn't just a bolt on and some major modifications where required to make it fit. The holes didn't line up and had to be drilled out a bit. The actual pan needs to get shaved also from the inside to clear oil pick-up. The oil pick up was included and required some modifications to make fit, the holes where to small and the flange was too big. Also the holes to attach it onto the block where off and took some muscle to get the bolt in and tightened down.

Summary: An aluminum piece. Would NOT recommend to anyone unless they are on an extreme budge for a turbo/na build.

OBX's Spec:

- Fully fabricated for exceptional strength and to provide several design advantages over stock-core pan; aluminum construction is lightweight and helps dissipate heat
- Dual trap-door baffles allow oil to flow into the pickup area during hard acceleration and keeps it there under braking to ensure constant oil supply and oil pressure
- Double kicked-out sump increases capacity to 5.5 quarts, while maintaining stock depth for ample ground clearance
- Removable sump tray allows for easy cleaning, cools and de-aerates return oil and keeps excess oil off of the rotating assembly to prevent horsepower-robbing windage
- Includes 1/2" NPT bung at rear for fitting a temperature sender and 1/2" NPT bung at front for plumbing an oil return line for turbos (also includes two 1/2" NPT plugs if required)
- Includes magnetic drain plug with extra copper washer, pan mounting kit with hex-drive steel studs to eliminate stripping the engine block and serrated-face flare nuts to withstand vibration
- Accommodates stock pan gasket and dipstick with existing oil level marks
- Hardware included
- Oil pump pickup included
- Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects

Test fitment of OBX Pan on my spare block. Doesn't look good.

Test fit of the Moroso pan on my spare block.

OBX Studs and nuts (left) vs Moroso Studs and nuts (right). If you notice the OBX aren't tapered and are much more cheaply constructed.

Oil Pick ups (OBX left, Moroso right)

Oil Pick ups (OBX left, Moroso right)

Oil Pick ups (Moroso left, OBX right)

Moroso Pan inside construction

OBX Pan inside construction

Both pans side by side

Other good information and write up:

On Honda-Tech.com

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=665632 (for D-Series OBX Pan)
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1209248 (for B-Series OBX Pan)

ALL IMAGES (C) psycheus.com 2006

Last edited by |DRC| psycheus on 15:42, Saturday Dec 30 2006; edited 2 times in total
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, December 19 2006, 12:46:15 #38592     

I will go with moroso all day. A: its based in CT"WOOT bitches" and they have a huge facility for test and tune. OBX is a shit bag company which copies others and makes stuff shitty.

OLDie

Tuesday, December 19 2006, 13:43:51 #38595     

The car designers need you guys to send in your applications WTF

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, December 19 2006, 17:03:38 #38597     

Oldie if you can only imagine half the shit me and friends have tried to make things work on cars. I am sure Rick is finding that out right now. Its just getting that first one out of the way then you are golden.

Hey Rick, look how tight the moroso welds are. The quality is right in front of you.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| psycheus

Tuesday, December 19 2006, 19:23:52 #38599     

It's funny because when I first saw the OBX I thought the welds where good, until I saw the Moroso then realized they are shit. Moroso is far superior to OBX in all ways. So Tim can you get discounts on Moroso being they are from your town?
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Marblecake

Thursday, December 21 2006, 00:58:40 #38622     

Nah. They are a few towns over. I know someone who used to do fab for them. They have high standards let me tell you.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, December 22 2006, 00:12:40 #38627     

#7 on google http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=product+review+oil+pans+civic+moroso&meta=

Good Good Good Good Good

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Jump to