DRC - Digital reality crew logo
DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Can we host our own Quake Live Server?

DRC Forum
» Gaming Forums
    » Quake & QuakeLive Forum
        » Can we host our own Quake Live Server?
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, May 7 2009, 09:46:57 #41769     Can we host our own Quake Live Server?

Quake Live Forum wrote:
What about private servers and starting my own games?
As most of you know, we currently host only public matches that all players can join. These matches are running on server boxes in various locations throughout the world that are completely controlled by us and our back-end system. There are many benefits to doing things this way - our servers run more efficiently (hosting more people per physical box), our servers are always up to date with the clients, and we can more monitor and prevent cheating, to name only a few. However, we understand that players want to be able to host private games/servers that are configured the way they choose and only accessible to their friends, clan, or others they choose. Our private game/private server integration will be the first major feature added to QUAKE LIVE in the upcoming months.

Traditionally, the process of letting players rent private servers is something that is handed off to various game server providers (GSPs). Each of these GSPs sets their own prices, which are typically anywhere from about $15-$30/month for 16 player slots in a single, fixed location. Each GSP also typically has it's own interface for managing that server that in no way is integrated with the game.

Our plan is to completely integrate the ability to start and manage private games directly through QUAKE LIVE, utilizing all of the friends, awareness and notification features we have available through the site. This ability will be the cornerstone of a QUAKE LIVE Premium Service that will be offered for a small monthly fee (likely less than $5 per month). So, for 1/3 to 1/6 the price that it normally costs to run a private match, we'll be offering players the ability to easily start a private match with these benefits:
--On demand - whenever you want to play privately, you simply set it up, play, and when you're done, those slots go back into our "public pool." This is how we can offer it for a substantially lower cost than is typical.
--Each match you set up can be in a different location. For example, if you're in NY and you want to play a friend in CA, chose a neutral location in Illinois or Texas. If the next time you play, you want to invite a friend also on the east coast, then run the match in Virginia.
--The interface is completely integrated into QUAKE LIVE and uses all of the back-end friends and friend awareness systems that we have at our disposal. So, when setting up a match, you'll be able to select the friends you want to invite and have a pop-up automatically alert them to your invitation - allowing them to join with one click.
--Private matches will also have access to more competitive game features that can not be practically used for public matches - like locked teams, timeouts, etc. (more on this below).

This is a very high-level summary, but we're excited about what we'll be able to offer players. When we get closer to rolling this out, we'll include more details on what additional features will be included in the private match system as well as additional benefits included with the Premium subscription. It is important to note in all of this, that we will not at all be charging for any content - this premium fee is basically for an extended service that includes private "space" on physical hardware.

It sounds like NO is the answer for now. With premium service at only $5/mo we can have access to a private server. Interested to see how this rolls out.

There is always more information on Quake Live on their forums HERE

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Blackshark

Thursday, May 7 2009, 15:43:40 #41777     

i am sure that will NOT give us the freedom we had in the old days.
but i guess they have to release some more solid informations first.
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Cutthroat

Sunday, May 10 2009, 23:49:52 #41797     

Ya since it's still beta prob not yet. But in the near future I'm sure they will.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| Marblecake

Monday, May 11 2009, 11:21:15 #41801     

Its not beta anymore. They have private for ggl. No hosting yet.

|DRC| Blackshark

Monday, May 11 2009, 11:23:56 #41803     

actually its a public beta, which is open for everyone who wants to join. but the premium accounts are still missing which i guess will be availible when they declare ql as final.

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, May 11 2009, 22:30:51 #41807     

at some point the server executable will be leaked. Also, QL is basically q3 so it's possible to modify q3 (sources are available) to have the same network protocol. I also have a converter QL > Q3 maps.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Blackshark

Tuesday, May 12 2009, 08:53:34 #41810     

well one of the new things to ql is the authentication with a given account so stats and servermovement can be logged and put into statistics. still in my opinion they should make server hosting availible to everyone and exclude custom servers from stat gathering. i miss railjumping and the whole x-battle mod feeling. and true unlagged netcode would be nice to have once again.

P.S. Wartex do you know whether it is possible to connect with a ql client to some oldschool q3 server?

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, May 12 2009, 10:41:26 #41812     

Will the PB's clash or the the auth cause a problem.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, May 13 2009, 19:45:41 #41817     

|DRC| Marblecake wrote:
Will the PB's clash or the the auth cause a problem.

heh, didn't think of that. With the multitude of bots for QL out there I think it will be possible to cheat punkbuster auth when you are using a custom-made client. If you are on the hosting end of ql then you can just disable PB.

Rated X

Saturday, November 14 2009, 10:43:26 #42696     

This is a bummer. The main idea of setting up our own servers is to host LAN parties where everyone has a ping of like (less than) 5!
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Sunday, November 15 2009, 17:54:19 #42704     

why would anyone play quakelive on a lan if you can play quake 3 with a multitude of mods out there and much better maps?

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, September 1 2010, 21:15:39 #43077     

now we can have a QL server. The q3 server will run on a dedicated PC in my house as well as on Blackshark's VPS

|DRC| Isobarik

Thursday, September 2 2010, 00:15:11 #43081     

DRC private Qlive server that runs at all times?
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, September 2 2010, 00:29:41 #43082     

no, on demand an then shuts down if idle for 20 mins. we'll find a way around

|DRC| Isobarik

Thursday, September 2 2010, 00:45:30 #43083     

Just curious, I have created an insta freeze server the last few nights.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, September 2 2010, 07:54:15 #43085     

Swweett!
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

JShortstreet

Wednesday, August 10 2011, 05:57:54 #43691     

Hosting my own games would be great but I think until I will be able to do this I will have to learn a lot. At the moment I am looking for a good hosting service in order to set up my own website. Will let you know when my first website is online.

Last edited by JShortstreet on 3:03, Thursday Aug 11 2011; edited 1 time in total

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, August 10 2011, 21:39:40 #43692     

JShortstreet wrote:
Hosting my own games would be great but I think until I will be able to do this I will have to learn a lot. At the moment I am looking for a good hosting service in order to set up my own website. Will let you know when my first website is online.

NOTE: Edited a link out of his post.

Son of a bitch. Are you really that fucking desperate for SEO that you manually register a new account on this forum, post several legit posts just to post a link to your fucking hosting business? Seriously, fucking pathetic. Do this again and I will fucking DoS you.

Jump to