DRC - Digital reality crew logo
DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Few questions about spare laptop batteries?

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » Few questions about spare laptop batteries?
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Death

Tuesday, August 25 2009, 13:21:08 #42463     Few questions about spare laptop batteries?

I'm looking to buy a spare laptop battery. I took the battery out to take the model # and it is Toshiba L300 PA3534U-1BRS. I've done some hunting on eBay and I'm writing off the ones from China/Hong Kong because I just don't know what I'm gonna get. The problem is I bought the laptop in Canada and I'm using it in the UK thru a transformer that converts the 115V to 240V. The battery says on it DC: 10.8V = 44Wh. The batteries on eBay all say this too, am I likely to have any problems with any batteries?
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Zyprexa

Tuesday, August 25 2009, 15:54:42 #42464     

I'd recommend using the battery provided by your laptop manufacturer. If you're trying to save money, there's better places to save than on a laptop battery. Just contact your manufacturer (website) and they will have a deal for you.
On another note, why do you need two laptop batteries? Is the old one running low?

[Edit]
BTW, not each battery fits to each laptop as in regard to size, form factor and all that. Be cautious!
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Death

Tuesday, August 25 2009, 17:05:50 #42465     

Partly the reason is travel. Using airplanes and whatever I can use the spare if the normal runs out. My Aunt/Uncle are moving to Australia soon so to go from Canada to Australia is gonna be a drag! Another reason is that I will be using the laptop at school aswell so incase I forget the charger or the battery dies or something, I got a spare. I'll check the website.

|DRC| Death

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 09:07:23 #42466     

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/individualOptions.do?service=UK&selCategory=4703&oldCategory=4703&OPTION_ID=112876&toshibaShop=true&tab=2#2

Costs too much. $130 USD.

|DRC| Zyprexa

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 12:46:58 #42467     

I can get you twice the capacity with $20 off. Let me know if you're interested:
http://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/computer-und-netzwerk/notebooks-und-zubehoer/zubehoer/akkus/akku-toshiba-qosmio-f20-f25-satellite-a50-a55-8800mah/v/an578610178/

[Edit]
I just noticed the battery above uses 11.1V of Direct Current. Maybe it could damage some of your laptop, so I'll check for alternatives.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Death

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 13:48:04 #42468     

Voltage wise I'm looking for something that has 10.8V I think. I bought it in Canada and it works in the UK with a transformer and it obviously works in Canada. So really I'm looking for exactly the same battery I've got again. I'm reluctant to use eBay for it now, most are used. And the new ones come from China Nope

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 19:27:56 #42469     

I bought a "chinese" battery for my dell laptop. It has 25% more capacity than stock and I've used it for a year so far, nearly daily. It lost 16% capacity after 200 charge cycles, which is not bad. Remember that there are very few (~500) companies that manufacture li-ion cells for those batteries, and most of them are Sony, Sanyo or Samsung anyways. Use ebay and look at person's feedback. If there is no neutral/neg feedback stating "battery was crap" and the seller has 300+ feedback you are pretty safe.

Here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Battery-Toshiba-PA3534U-1BRS-A202-A205-L300_W0QQitemZ320373629603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a97c1a2a3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ask someone in US to buy it and re-ship it "USPS Fist Class Mail" to you and mark the value as "$20" and "Gift". Shipping should be $15-20 or so, and no VAT. Voila!

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Zyprexa

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 19:49:47 #42470     

I also noticed my calculation was wrong. It does *not* hold twice the capacity. mAh and Wh can't be easily converted. Anyhow, go with Wartex' tip. :-)
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Death

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 20:03:59 #42471     

Well we're leaving this house on the 11th Sept and I'm staying with a friend until the 27th which is the day we leave for Canada. By the time it's gone from Hong Kong to the US to the UK I don't know if it's going to be too late by then Sad. Estimated delivery on that battery "varies". I think I'll just wait til we get to Canada and buy one. Thanks for the advice all Good.

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, August 26 2009, 22:16:42 #42472     

|DRC| Zyprexa wrote:
I also noticed my calculation was wrong. It does *not* hold twice the capacity. mAh and Wh can't be easily converted. Anyhow, go with Wartex' tip. :-)

WH = V * Ah

A 12 v battery with 2.7 Ah cells is a 32.4 Wh battery.

W*h is battery energy and A*h is battery capacity.

10 volt 3 Ah battery has the same energy as 5 volt 6 Ah battery. However, with lower voltages you have to induce higher currents to do the same work, which is less efficient as at high currents you produce more heat.

Also, having 2 batteries in a laptop at the same time gives you 2.2x - 2.5x runtime, as per-battery current drops in half. Li-ion cells discharge deeper and more efficiently at low currents.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Zyprexa

Thursday, August 27 2009, 11:00:50 #42473     

Thanks for clearing that up bud. I knew I had it the wrong way :-)
Profile | Send PM

Jump to