DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Found some 10 Gbit/s ethernet cards for cheap

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » Found some 10 Gbit/s ethernet cards for cheap
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, June 27 2011, 01:14:29 #43597     Found some 10 Gbit/s ethernet cards for cheap

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Myricom-10GbE-10Gb-10G-Ethernet-NIC-Mac-Pro-Linux-NAS-/270745964363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f09b78f4b

Those are 10 gigabit 8x PCI-Express LAN cards. They are $800-$3000 in retail.
You need a CX4 copper cable to join 2 computers into a LAN. This NIC will yield approx 900 MB/s transfer, i.e. it's 3 times faster than a typical SSD and 8 times faster than a normal hard drive read speed.

I'm planning to buy a used SAN array from eBay (you can get those for $100), populate it with drives in RAID 10 and move my storage out of my PC completely, just have a 120 GB SSD in my PC for windoze and most used programs and have the rest of the shit like games in a storage array.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Noakes

Tuesday, July 26 2011, 00:03:59 #43628     

Id like to see that build...
But what router would you use if any?
Wouldn't that become the bottle neck?
Profile | Send PM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, July 28 2011, 20:35:33 #43647     

|DRC| Noakes wrote:
Id like to see that build...
But what router would you use if any?
Wouldn't that become the bottle neck?

Noakes you need to read up on how networks work. Router doesn't get involved in transactions on the same LAN unless you are using the built-in switch ports on the back of it, and even then only the switch part is involved, and in this case it won't be used.

The link between devices would be 10 gbit/s but the link between devices and the router can be 10 megabit without productivity loss. Until you get 10 Gb internet, you don't have to worry about the router. PC#1 will have a 10 GbE card, PC#2 will have a 10 GbE card and a 2nd 100/1000 mbit card. That 2nd mbit card will be used to connect to the internet. PC#2 will act as a bridge between the 2 kinds of ethernet.

Ideally you should have each PC connect to a 10 Gb switch, and the switch connected to a router (with a slow link). This would however require a retarded expensive ($25k +) 10 GbE switch.

I'm just making a "peer to peer" GbE link for fast file transfers. You can take a PC with several PCIe cards, buy a bunch of those cards and stick it in there, install x86 edition of DD-WRT software and have a true, insanely fast router/switch/firewall. But that would require 2 cards for each PC on the LAN.

|DRC| Noakes

Thursday, July 28 2011, 23:27:51 #43648     

OK. So you plan to run a NAS server or something like that? I use freenas. It seems ok. File transfers could be faster. Think I will make another one with the newer version. Im doing raid 5 now, but what would be better for a media "Movies, pictures, mp3's" based nas server??
Profile | Send PM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, July 29 2011, 00:43:12 #43649     

|DRC| Noakes wrote:
OK. So you plan to run a NAS server or something like that? I use freenas. It seems ok. File transfers could be faster. Think I will make another one with the newer version. Im doing raid 5 now, but what would be better for a media "Movies, pictures, mp3's" based nas server??

Try NasLite. Given current HDD prices and file sizes, building RAID 5 is more wasteful than 10, RAID 10 has no performance hit like RAID 5 and still provides redundancy. Also you need decent NICs if you want fast NAS. A 100 mbit NIC will yield 9 MB/s AT BEST, 1 gbit will be close to 60 MB/s. If you use RE edition WD drives in RAID 10 (say 3x3 config) with 10 gbit card, you can expect ~700 MB/sec easy (if your PC can write that fast).

Jump to