iphone apps

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » iphone apps
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| SLIM

Monday, June 15 2009, 08:07:23 #42179     iphone apps

So my phone finally died on me the other day. I had wanted a phone with an actual little keyboard running android, but since I am kinda locked in with att I got an iphone.

Anyone else have one? What are your favorite apps? PS I love how there are like hundreds of flashlight apps that do the same thing. Laughing
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | SKYPE

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, June 15 2009, 16:31:27 #42180     

you are not locked with att in any way except a contract to keep your service running. you buy any unlocked phone on ebay and use it with old SIM card

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Death

Monday, June 15 2009, 17:36:02 #42181     

Ahh Wartex that's reminded me. If I take my cell to Canada (I think it's unlocked) and put a Rogers SIM card in - it will work, right? Or will I end up buying a new phone? I probably will anyway the one I have now is a POS.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, June 15 2009, 22:07:02 #42182     

|DRC| Death wrote:
Ahh Wartex that's reminded me. If I take my cell to Canada (I think it's unlocked) and put a Rogers SIM card in - it will work, right? Or will I end up buying a new phone? I probably will anyway the one I have now is a POS.

Phones here in north america are mostly turds compared to european or japanese, very limited choice and they are way overpriced.

|DRC| SLIM

Tuesday, June 16 2009, 03:44:57 #42185     

|DRC| Wartex wrote:
you are not locked with att in any way except a contract to keep your service running. you buy any unlocked phone on ebay and use it with old SIM card

Ya, that's what I meant. I'm locked in a contract.

|DRC| Death

Tuesday, June 16 2009, 09:50:56 #42188     

Yeah Wartex I know they're shit so I was going to buy a good one here and use it in Canada if it's possible to use the SIMs?

|DRC| Wartex

Tuesday, June 16 2009, 20:18:25 #42191     

|DRC| Death wrote:
Yeah Wartex I know they're shit so I was going to buy a good one here and use it in Canada if it's possible to use the SIMs?

yep you can use local sims. They are 128KB SIMs I believe.

|DRC| Marblecake

Saturday, June 20 2009, 06:44:47 #42204     

I am sorry to here you had to purchase the DICK phone. Every dickhead on the planet owns one and all they wanna do is use facebook on it and set up there email. UH yeah I need help setting up my email on this sweet phone. I hated dealing with those assholes.

|DRC| Blackshark

Saturday, June 20 2009, 09:03:45 #42211     

i did not wanted to say it marble but you took my words right out of the mouth Wink
i bitchslaped my colleague for buying the DiCKphone aswell.
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, June 20 2009, 09:24:33 #42212     

it's called a "trendwhore"

|DRC| SLIM

Saturday, June 20 2009, 14:42:36 #42214     

Yes some people who buy the iphone are total mac fanboys and talk about it 24/7, others waited overnight inline and paid $600, some bought it just because its apple. None of this changes the fact that its an impressive mesh of hardware and software. It sucks that people assume you are a dick because you use a certain phone.

Some of the cool, more unusual things I've used the phone for in the short time I've had it are VNCing into my ubunutu server, Using the beautifully implemented browser to stream music from my server's 1TB hd to my phone anywhere, and having the phone upload via ftp photos as soon as I take them(I want to write a simple app to display these on the web as soon as I have time)

Do you guys dislike the phone just for the fact that its trendy? Have any of you used the phone for any length of time? What are your gripes?

|DRC| Wartex

Sunday, June 21 2009, 09:04:43 #42241     

Can you send email attachments from it? Is there a filesystem on it so you can organize your files?

There are tons of smartfones that are way better, they are just not sold in USA.

Read this http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Noderoom

Sunday, June 21 2009, 11:51:31 #42245     

I don't think theres anything wrong with buying the latest new cool phone, but its not really the type of toy that turns my crank Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| psycheus

Saturday, June 27 2009, 14:08:12 #42292     

Nice find Wartex. What countries can you get the E70 in? I have to admit I have an iPhone and it does piss me off from the lack of things it can't do. There are some good features but I mostly just use it as a phone.

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, June 27 2009, 15:45:16 #42293     

E70 is available in usa but it's a very old phone. Iphone is an ipod touch with a GSM/GPRS transciever and a crippled version of linux. In no way, shape or form it's "amazing". Any HTC phone can do what iphone does plus a million more things.

There is new Nokia E71 which replaces 70
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e71

|DRC| Death

Saturday, June 27 2009, 16:06:15 #42295     

I can't see the point in gizmo phones. They just clog shit up and make it not work properly (like mine now). If it rings, I'm happy. I'll buy the proper thing if I need a camera, mp3 player etc...

Noderoom

Saturday, June 27 2009, 17:03:24 #42298     

My brother changed his ringtone to the Codec ring noise from MG:S. I just about shit my pants when I first heard it Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, June 27 2009, 18:51:32 #42299     

|DRC| Death wrote:
I can't see the point in gizmo phones. They just clog shit up and make it not work properly (like mine now). If it rings, I'm happy. I'll buy the proper thing if I need a camera, mp3 player etc...

there is a necessity for e-mail and gps on the phone for business people. With my work I have a lot of information that can be "corrupt" during voice transmission, such as long serial numbers, street names, email addresses, phone numbers etc. So I need to have email on the go (I actually DO NOT have a smartphone, I use reg cellphone with a mail client on it) so I see it as text.

Most smartphones is north america are rigged for "text" and "mp3" because it's "fun". Even Blackberry, despite being designed as a business-only phone has some "fun" apps on it. The "fun" being sucking in the customer into using all features and then assraping them on the bill when the "free*" promotions run out.

iPhone is designed for iTards who follow every iFart of Macintosh execs. They present it as a "lifestyle" phone, you know like in those commercials where a bunch of mixed-race teenagers take "pix" on a beach and then instantly upload them to FeceBook, mail them to grandma etc etc. Then they go home and sit on an "easy to use" iMac laptop and just drag and drop videos from the camera, easily edit them and watch them and laugh and have Pepsi. Everyone is dressed in very bright color clothes and house looks like they are all fucking billionaires on a perpetual vacation.

The point is, if you have an iphone, then chances are it's not out of practical need but rather to be "hip". Hence all the hatred.

What I'm trying to say SLIM, is that there are dozens of much better phones that do much cooler things and are much more practical, and sporting an iphone is like driving a WV bug, wearing bell bottom pants and an orange wig - even if you are not a douche, your "accessories" make everyone think you are.

Even Android phones are cooler.

Iphone is a toy, it has a shitty radio chip, non-removable battery with only 500 cycle life, greasy screen, locked OS, no filesystem, shitty text entry methods etc etc. I would never buy it. If it supports VNC - that's great, but only because Apple uses Linux and VNC is open source. Plus Apple does all possible to brick unlocked phones - assholes.

Of course all the above "bash" posts are our own opinions and I'm not saying go throw it in the river, I'm just surprised you picked that phone. If you got it cheap and it does what you need it to do - great.

|DRC| SLIM

Sunday, June 28 2009, 00:17:52 #42302     

|DRC| psycheus wrote:
I have to admit I have an iPhone and it does piss me off from the lack of things it can't do. There are some good features but I mostly just use it as a phone.

What specifically? I've found the opposite true.

Of course there are better, more practical phones out there. Even things like email access arent a necessity for me, but theyre nice. So what if it is fun Smile I like that it has text and plays music. I like that I can download some new games or what have you to fuck with if I'm stuck somewhere. The phone itself cost me $100 and no more monthly with the plan my whole family is already on. For sms I use one of the free apps. I now have it tethered to my notebook, so I can access the net anywhere. Not fast and again not a necessary for me, but nice.

I really just wanted to know if anyone could suggest an app. See thread title.

|DRC| Wartex wrote:
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-e71

Funny, but not accurate, at least with my version of the phone(3.0 OS). Like the author, I can restart apache with ssh/telnet, customize ringtones, voice dial, record voice, cut/paste, instant message. It does however, still have the touch keyboard, which as I said above is a big reason I'd have gotten an android phone if possible. I quickly adapted, but typing while driving isn't happening anymore. Cover

|DRC| Wartex wrote:
sporting an iphone is like driving a WV bug, wearing bell bottom pants and an orange wig - even if you are not a douche, your "accessories" make everyone think you are.

Fuck what people think. If at glance someone assumes I'm a douche for having an iphone or whatever other "accessories", I'm probably better off.

|DRC| psycheus

Sunday, June 28 2009, 12:18:04 #42314     

Well the cut and paste thing was really stupid not to have.. although in the new version it looks like they corrected that and other stuff. I still need to upgrade. Apple's lack of 64-bit Window XP support is bullshit. I still have problems to this day with getting it to work properly on my Windows Server 2003 64-bit. Oh and there's running multiple programs which you can't do except playing mp3's and doing something else.

On the other side of it, I've had a few of the HTC phones and they honestly were all underpowered and the functionality of them was much less then the Iphone IMHO. The only competition that I see is from the new palm phone.

Also there is a way to Jailbreak the phone to unlock it but I've always been to scared to do it which allows you to do a ton more stuff on it. You can just Google Jailbreaking your Iphone to find out more.

As for your OP here's some apps I have:

write pad (you can physically write on the screen)
Goindown (pretty much simple server up tool)
IM+ (all IM programs, but the thing again is you can't do this and do something else)
who lite (voice dial and other voice commands)
italk (also voice recorder)
speak easy (voice recorder)
pandora (music)
shazam (finds music you hear on radio)
joost (you have to be on wifi but you can stream and share stuff)
Munch (find local restaurants)
Snaptell (snap pics of products and find online deals)
drinks free (shows you different drinks to make)

Stuff I actually used for work:
Decibel (fairly accurate decibel meter)
Units (unit converter)
iLevel
Graphcalc
Fan Laws

Games:
Padijump (stupid but fun)
cube runner
beer pong u
mazefinger
rRootage
tChess Lite
Solitaire City Lite
Sudoku
black and white
touch physics
mad shells
Football
topple

I also wanted to ask you Slim how you got the VNC to work.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Marblecake

Saturday, July 11 2009, 10:29:32 #42352     

OK cut and paste is on the 3gs. Mt GF just got one for me cuz my pocket pc kept crashing. I use a symbol phone at work which is windows based. I will say the 3gs iphone is nice compared to the older one. I remember the old and I hated it and gave it back. There are no mms featues until new firmware push in august. The apps are ok. Its more for games like Rick has listed here. I do like how it does acquire correct locations and good voice commands that actually understand what you say. Other then that you are limited on most of the stuff you can do. If you jailbreak it apple knows. You cant get updates if you jailbreak it. I also came accross major problems with my htc touch pro. Overheating, minimal battery, always freezing. Bad time with it. Also was replaced 3 times and same issue with all three.

Last edited by |DRC| Marblecake on 10:34, Saturday Jul 11 2009; edited 1 time in total
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Marblecake

Saturday, July 11 2009, 10:30:05 #42353     

PS paper toss is an addicting game for it.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Jump to