DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Need a Laptop.....Suggestions Anyone?

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » Need a Laptop.....Suggestions Anyone?
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Iceman

Thursday, June 2 2011, 13:02:27 #43496     Need a Laptop.....Suggestions Anyone?

The Laptop must have a minimum of the following:

1) Windows 7
2) Intel Pentium 4 or AMD AThalon, Duel Core, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 Technology
3) 2GB RAM or more
4) 1024 x 768 Display with True Color 128 MB or greater, Direct3D - capable workstation with class graphics card
5) Hard Drive - Don't really need a HUGE hard drive, so 20 - 40 GB should do.
6) Needs to be MS Mouse compliant
7) Needs to have a DVD and a CD ROM

The laptop will be running AutoCAD 2010 and will need a minimum of 2GB for the install. I have been out of touch with the most up to date equipment so any laptop suggestions that would have better performance would be great. I have a Terabyte portable Hard Drive so space won't be an issue. Thanks in advance!
Good
Profile | Send PM

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, June 2 2011, 15:41:04 #43501     

Call me on sunday and we can go to staples/bestbuy/futureshop and I will show you the best bang for the buck.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, June 4 2011, 08:00:25 #43505     

Thanks for the offer, but right now I am not sure that I have been accepted as my application is still processing. I am more looking for information so when the time comes I will have some insight on what to buy until I know I am going for sure.

The school will provide one for $1000, and estimate that I would need to spend between $900 - $1200 to get everything that I need. I am hoping to find everything that I need and/or more for a cheaper price if I buy one myself. If you happen to know of some good Makes/Models or have some advice on some things I should be looking for let me know. Once I know for sure, and have a place to live lined up we can get together and go look Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| psycheus

Tuesday, June 7 2011, 01:12:06 #43509     

What school you going to attend?

|DRC| Iceman

Tuesday, June 7 2011, 21:07:11 #43511     

Hey Rick,

I have applied to to the Survey Technician program at our provincial community college (NSCC). I was recently restructured/layed off work due to downsizing, so I am trying to see if the Government will fund me to go back to school. I have a bunch of hoops and red tape to go through first, so there are no guarantees at this point.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Tuesday, June 7 2011, 22:15:24 #43516     

If you buy a laptop with Windows 7 over $700, microsoft will give you a free Xbox. This is not a joke. I think you need to have a college email to get the deal, and I know for a fact that NSCC is a Microsoft partner, so it will work with NSCC email.

|DRC| Zyprexa

Wednesday, June 8 2011, 05:02:34 #43518     

Hey there!
I've been through a lot of laptops in my life, so maybe I can throw in a hint or two:

1. Never go for a display that has a shiny surface. Manufactures have concluded that it's shit themselves by now. First time outside with a shiny display => you'll know what I mean.
2. Speaking of screen resolution: don't go for exotic resolutions. Stick with the regular ones (my first Dell had a 1600x1200... that was back around 2001). This also plays a role with games (you can get black bars on the screen, pretty annoying).
3. Most important in any computer system is I/O throughput. I/O is ALWAYS the bottleneck, ALWAYS! Forget about CPU and Memory, if your harddrive is slow, degrades fast, etc. you're screwed. Pinch in the extra bucks, don't go for less than 7200 rpm or buy a SSD if you can. It is worth the money!
4. Battery life is important, but even more important is to treat your laptop nicely. For me, this means: When running on battery, let it run down to around 30-35%, then plug in and charge, but charge ALL the way. No frequent connecting, disconnecting of cable (better, none at all). The laptop I'm writing this from is almost 3 years old and there's basically no sign of the battery wearing off (I've lost about 15 minutes in total...).
5. Go for a quality case. This leads to one manufacturer only, in my opinion: lenovo. !!!! If you travel often, take the laptop with you, you will want something that can take a punch or two.

To sum up, I've had a Dell, two HPs (the business models are nice, but not that perfect), and now I'm using a Lenovo. I used to laugh at the ugly design of the Lenovos, but really, they are by FAR the best out there. Worth every cent.
If you get used to the red little mouse joystick, you will miss it on every other laptop. The hinges are very stable, same goes for the screen and keyboard. You can also get really nice options for the HDD.
Better spend 500 bucks more on a good laptop than hate yourself over and over again Wink

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more input Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Zyprexa

Wednesday, June 8 2011, 05:05:06 #43519     

Oh, one more item: you might want to dual boot. In that case, make sure you don't have too exotic hardware. (I really recommend a dual boot, or virtualization).
PLUS: AutoCAD is a resource beast. RAM is the key there, as well as support from your graphix board. Have at least 4GB of RAM... you will be able to tell the difference.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Iceman

Sunday, June 12 2011, 19:51:09 #43528     

Thanks for the tips! I will most definitely keep them in mind! At first I thought I would be able to handle the program, but I did a lot of research through previous years text books, and came to realize that me being out of school for over 15 years has really impacted my mathematics knowledge level. When I was fresh out of high school I would have had a better chance at doing well in the program, but after researching the program I had to be honest with myself, and not waste my time, as I only have one shot at school. Instead I went with a more general diploma program that compliments my experience and background. Hopefully I will be accepted Good
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Messiah

Wednesday, June 22 2011, 13:36:33 #43537     

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Fun-2-Learn-Computer-Cool-School/dp/B0015KVW56

Profile | Send PM | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, June 22 2011, 18:27:02 #43542     

ROFL ROFL ROFL

|DRC| Iceman

Thursday, June 23 2011, 11:57:46 #43547     

|DRC| Messiah wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Fun-2-Learn-Computer-Cool-School/dp/B0015KVW56

Flip off
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Messiah

Thursday, June 23 2011, 14:19:18 #43548     

|DRC| Iceman wrote:
|DRC| Messiah wrote:

Flip off

Too advanced for you?

|DRC| Iceman

Friday, June 24 2011, 08:33:56 #43550     

Blah blah... Gay
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Messiah

Friday, June 24 2011, 15:07:19 #43551     

awww. someone cant take a joke. guess you can go Flip off yourself Kiddie

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, June 24 2011, 20:38:10 #43553     

Play nice now! No need to talk shit guys Twak!

Iceman I hope your last post is not what I think it is.

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, June 25 2011, 08:34:27 #43557     

|DRC| Wartex wrote:

I posted a real question, and received a 5 year old response that you thought was funny, so I stooped to the 5 year level and replied. So if you think I am going to sit back and take shit from him or anyone else, think again.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Messiah

Saturday, June 25 2011, 13:28:44 #43558     

Not worth a response as I don't really like you- so enough said on my part

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, June 25 2011, 13:39:19 #43560     

|DRC| Messiah wrote:
Not worth a response as I don't really like you- so enough said on my part

Ditto.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, June 25 2011, 13:48:09 #43561     

|DRC| Iceman wrote:
|DRC| Wartex wrote:

I posted a real question, and received a 5 year old response that you thought was funny, so I stooped to the 5 year level and replied. So if you think I am going to sit back and take shit from him or anyone else, think again.

Wow, someone has broken glass in their vagina! Since when poking someone with a joke is "a 5 year old response"? I myself was thinking about posting "Speak & Spell" but couldn't find one for sale. I told you I will help you to buy one, I'm very busy with work (unlike you) and barely have any time off and I was going to take time out of my weekend and go shopping with you, you never even bothered to call me - there's the response to your question. In fact, you never fucking call me unless you are in dire need of something.

And what is it about "taking shit", since when ANYONE in DRC gave you shit? You first misread Blackshark's post and responded with aggression, now you have some kind of beef with Messiah and I understand that "take shit from him or anyone else" is directed at me. Why is it that every time someone makes a comment about you, your prostate explodes? Wang and Noakes talk shit on skype to me all the time, I don't fucking escalate it because I know they don't mean it.

Instead of being a better person and taking a joke (from people who has NEVER meant you any harm), you escalate into a pissing match, that is very un-DRC like. Also posting a "gay" smiley in response to Messiah was extremely childish. If you got some life problems I understand, but don't take it out on DRCs, that's fucking unacceptable to me.

Also, to everyone: no more fucking angry responses. If someone offended you, shut the fuck up and send them a *polite* PM, don't start shit on public forums. We've known each other close to a decade and I'm sure by now you realize there is no place for mutual hatred in DRC. Escalating aggression is animal-like behavior and is grounds for a kick from DRC.

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, June 25 2011, 13:50:16 #43562     

All this shit talking has me all nostalgic for LG, 4.2, -II- and other forums. Laughing

Jump to