New keyboard

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Computers
        » New keyboard
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| SLIM

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 08:27:53 #41402     New keyboard

My girl bought a new mid range pc and she hates the keyboard that came with it. It's really a cheap piece of crap. She loves mine and wants me to give it to her. In return she said she'd buy me a new one. This is my current keyboard that she wants. I've been very happy with it:

Now.. I'm thinking of buying this beast below. It's just like those old IMB's with the mechanical keys that give a feedback sound on key press. It doesn't have mute, vol up, vol down keys (which I use a lot) but I figure I can use AutoHotkey or something and program them to some keys I don't use. On the plus side, in the event of a robbery, I think I could kill a man with it.

These things are loud as hell though. What keyboard do you guys use? Am I crazy?
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | SKYPE

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| SLIM

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 09:09:24 #41409     

Here's a vid of it.

Link on YouTube

Noderoom

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 10:35:29 #41411     

I actually prefer the little keyboard on my Dell laptop. It is quiet, and it takes very little pressure to fully press a key down, which lends itself to typing speed. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have separate number pad keys.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| SLIM

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 11:14:34 #41413     

Some people say that because these keyboards click when you press a key and make a sound, they are faster and produce less typos. Really.. I don't know, but I'm not a fast typist and don't even use the right fingers for some keys anyways. Mr Green

I have a Dell notebook too (an inspiron 1420) and loved the keys when it was new. My problem is that I don't take good care of it. I've had to take many keys off because I eat while using it and crumbs get under them. Then they never feel quite the same after you put them back on.

You like the the number pad!? what are you and accountant? Very happy

|DRC| Blackshark

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 13:02:16 #41417     

ohh come on slim thats got to be perverse. with a keyboard like that you can't hear the thoughts in your head.

well the keyboard of my dreams is still http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/ but it isn't quite "cheap".

i use a standard logitech multimedia keyboard
heres a picture i googled
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| SLIM

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 13:58:48 #41418     

And even if it doesn't annoy me, it will probably drive any else around it crazy. Nobody that I've talked to about this has thought it was a good idea yet, but I'm still on the fence. Laughing

Your dream keyboard is awesome. Out of curiosity I had to see how expensive it is and wow. At thinkgeek.com its $1600 and even more some other places.

|DRC| Wartex

Tuesday, April 14 2009, 19:38:56 #41419     

This is the best you can get for gaming
http://cgi.ebay.com/Qtronix-itron-Scorpius-M1-Smart-Office-Keyboard-w-PS-2_W0QQitemZ260384819866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item260384819866&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

I have Qtronix Scorpius 98a, which I highly recommend if you can find it in retail.

I have one I bought in '99 and I still have it and it still works. The arrows on arrow keys are completely erased from playing quake.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| SLIM

Wednesday, April 15 2009, 05:15:34 #41426     

Wow that has a shitload of programmable keys and its pretty damn cheap. If I buy this and hate it, at least I know I can fallback on the Qtronix Scorpius 98a or something similar.

But Wartex, do you think I'm loony for considering this? Am I the only one with fond memories of these type keyboards? Where the fuck is OLDie to back me up? That guys has probably gone though 20 keyboards in his lifetime. Wink

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, April 16 2009, 19:20:23 #41473     

it's just loud, so it's a fad. Imagine if your GF's tampon beeped every 20 minutes. Same thing.

|DRC| Death

Thursday, April 16 2009, 19:43:33 #41475     

|DRC| SLIM wrote:
... That guys has probably gone though 20 keyboards in his lifetime. Wink

LOL.

I only ever really used a bog standard keyboard so I don't really know any better. That one you posted up there seems really noisy though, that shit would drive me mad. Can't you just buy a second keyboard of yours for your GF or do you really want a new one? Got a laptop now so I don't really use keyboards.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| psycheus

Saturday, April 25 2009, 13:36:24 #41541     

Go with the one wartex recommended. It's cheap and quite. I actually have the one your talking about that is very loud and was going to throw it away.. do you want it? It's an old IBM keyboard I think.. Anyways you don't wanta know which pos keyboard I use.. Let me know if you want it just pay for shipping and it's yours.

|DRC| psycheus

Saturday, April 25 2009, 13:49:06 #41542     

And here is a sound of the keyboard.. Please right click and save, please don't stream.
http://psycheus.com/files/computer/DSCN3692.AVI
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, April 25 2009, 21:44:43 #41566     

Here's a simple guide to detect if keyboard is a POS:

1. Enter key is L-shaped.
2. Backspace is the same size as ESC
3. Backslash is to the right of SHIFT.
4. Space is shorter than 6 keys.
5. Letters are in the center of the key and not top or top left.
6. Windows keys are same size as ALT, CTRL

That black KB is the worst KB for gaming.

|DRC| SLIM

Sunday, May 3 2009, 04:25:41 #41673     

Death, I didn't really want/need a new one, but she offered to buy me a new one if I'd give her mine.

Thanks Psycheus, but I came to my senses. Laughing

I ended up getting one very similar to the one I gave away, but corded and with light up keys. I do a lot in dim or dark conditions, so it works pretty well when I need a key that I don't use by touch.

Jump to