DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

New Ryobi Li-Ion (Lithium-Ion) cordless power tools

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Tools of The Trade
        » New Ryobi Li-Ion (Lithium-Ion) cordless power tools
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, October 1 2007, 00:34:51 #40450     New Ryobi Li-Ion (Lithium-Ion) cordless power tools

Ryobi is about to release new li-ion tools. Li-Ion batteries (2.4 Ah) will work with old 18 One+ line tools. If you are going to buy some cordless power tools for a gift for your dad etc for x-mas or New Year, Ryobi is the best bang for the buck, they are dirt cheap and have decent quality (Ryobi is basically Ridgid's home user line).

For $259 you get a charger (charges old NiCd as well as Li-Ion), 2 batteries, flashlight, reciprocating saw, drill and a circular saw. Same kit from Milwaukee or Makita will cost you $600 and up.

For a drill, charger, 2 batteries and a flashlight - $159.

Pics here: http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/2007/09/a_look_at_the_new_ryobi_lithiu.php

Manufacturer's site:

http://www.ryobitools.com/lithium/index.html?detectflash=false

Click on "Tools" at the bottom.

Last edited by |DRC| Wartex on 2:24, Sunday Feb 17 2008; edited 1 time in total
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, October 11 2007, 09:02:23 #40480     

Thanks! I'm looking to buy my Dad a combo kit and that sounds like a great deal. He's still using a crappy ass mikita (like 10+ years old cordless drill). It's barely good for turning a screw.

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, October 11 2007, 19:11:00 #40482     

it's available at US Home Depots now. Get the 4-tool combo.

|DRC| psycheus

Friday, October 12 2007, 08:21:10 #40485     

Hey just bought the 4 tool combo set. My dad isn't a power user and they should work fine for what he needs them for around the house. Thanks very much for the topic!
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, October 12 2007, 21:10:35 #40490     

Ryobi is made by the same factory that makes Ridgid tools, which are heavy-duty contractor-grade. So the beauty of Ryobi is being dirt-cheap and much higher quality than "home use" crap you get from H-D, Lowes, Rona etc.

You can also buy older Ryobi ni-cd based tools and they will accept new Li-Ion batteries. They have a neat vacuum that is good for picking up kitchen spills as well as a bush trimmer and bunch of other stuff for home users. Good Hug

|DRC| psycheus

Monday, October 15 2007, 18:31:57 #40513     

I just got a look at and demo of these tools. I'm farily impressed. I honestly thought they would be really cheap. In all honesty they aren't bad for the price. I'm not sure how they are compaired to the Dewalt/Makita higher brands for specs but for a home user they should work great. However for what I do, I don't think they will last. But I'm much harder on the tools then the average user and need the better grade of tool.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, October 15 2007, 22:44:03 #40517     

I've seen trades use Ryobi and they stand up to worksite conditions pretty good. If you take price/longevity as a metric, they beat Dewalt or Makita by far.

Feature-wise equivalent Dewalt costs nearly 2.5 times more but lasts only 1.5x longer.

Jump to