Regent Board

DRC Forum
» Community Forums
    » Forum Improvement Suggestions
        » Regent Board
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Iceman

Tuesday, March 7 2006, 19:23:48 #33523     Regent Board

Is it possible to set up a board specifically for Regents that everyone can see?

This is what I'm thinking:

1. It could be a way to get people interested in contributing time or otherwise towards the community. Kind of a "special benefit" if you want to look at it like that Very happy

2. Each Regent could have their own topics that they could admin (if possible).

Example:

Wang > Cars > Pictures
Wang > Cars > Mods

I'm thinking along the lines of having a message board within a message board to keep things organized if thats at all possible?? Kind of like going to a ftp to locate a song with different folders. I'm not sure if it should be made for the public to post in though, or if we should just keep it special to the private section.

The reason I am suggesting this idea is to avoid topics we would like to discuss getting burried, and never to be found again. I just think it would be allot more organized, and easy to find things that each of us are interested in.

For instance I would start a board on "Investments" and go from there with other sub-sections such as "Climbing Stocks", or "Decreasing Stocks" etc; Members can read it and post if they have something to contribute. I think it would be a good idea if the Regents had "free reign" of their own board as well (if thats possible via persmissions). If its not possible to set that up, I'm sure at this point we "should be" trusted enough to admin our "own board".

Give me some feedback here. What does everything think? Nerd
Profile | Send PM

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Wartex

Tuesday, March 7 2006, 23:28:18 #33532     

I just wanna clarify the hierarchy of message boards:

Board > Categories > Forums > Topics > Posts.

What you want is what I made the DRC University for. Where everyone can have his own forum where he can be the boss.

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Iceman

Wednesday, March 8 2006, 00:08:17 #33533     

I don't know if you misunderstood what I posted above or not, but I wasn't thinking about it as being "the boss".........That is not my concern at all. I was thinking of it as having a board within this forum since we all frequent here. I saw a setup like this on another message board a long time ago and I thought it was a good idea to impliment here........thats all.

The idea is to try and get people more involved in the community by having something simple as a reward. I just thought it might be nice for the Regents, since we are few to have a place we can post what we want without it getting burried in other topics. Thats all Good
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, March 8 2006, 03:14:05 #33535     

I don't know if you misunderstood what I posted above or not, but I wasn't thinking about it as being "the boss".........

I understood it perfectly well, it's you who misunderstood what DRC University is. When I said "boss" I meant a person who is a moderator and a person who has his own forum/category where he and no one else can CREATE topics, while others can only reply to them. If you meant something else than it's called a "Sticky".

Think what will happen if 2 people will want to discuss the same topis
Wang > Cars > Modding
Iceman > Cars > Modding <<< redundant
So regents will still have to agree what they wanna post about.

That is not my concern at all. I was thinking of it as having a board within this forum

You can't have a "board" in a "forum" because "board" is made OF "forums". You can have "subforums" in a forum or "subcategory" in a category, and there is a phpbb mod for it.

since we all frequent here. I saw a setup like this on another message board a long time ago and I thought it was a good idea to impliment here........thats all.

With this mod (forums in forums) installing mods or updating the board is like reinstalling everything from the scratch. It's a shitload of work and unless someone is going to help me, I'm not even touching it. Anyone?

The idea is to try and get people more involved in the community by having something simple as a reward. I just thought it might be nice for the Regents, since we are few to have a place we can post what we want without it getting burried in other topics. Thats all Good

I can make a category for regents where each one will have a personal forum, where he can post but others can only reply (can't create new topics).

If you still want a fully fledged personal category where you can add/remove forums, feel free to PM me when you are ready to read thru 200 pages of code, and then spend ~6 hours non-stop modifying the existing phpbb. I will provide the necessary training.

|DRC| Wartex

Wednesday, March 8 2006, 03:15:23 #33536     

PS: Deep forums tend to end up being abandoned and all people posting in "general".

|DRC| Iceman

Wednesday, March 8 2006, 20:23:17 #33574     

I can make a category for regents where each one will have a personal forum, where he can post but others can only reply (can't create new topics).

Thanks for replying and explaining the difference between "mods" "boards" and "forums". However, I think this would be sufficent since this is basically what I was thinking about......but really wasn't sure on how to explain it.

It makes sence about the updating though, and that was what I was not sure about...........of how much extra work it would be. My intent is not to make extra work, but to have an "orangized personal regent board" within the forum.

That would be awesome if you could set it up! Very happy Love
Profile | Send PM

Jump to