DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

Review: Milwaukee 2420-22 M12 Hackzall sub-compact reciprocating saw

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Tools of The Trade
        » Review: Milwaukee 2420-22 M12 Hackzall sub-compact reciprocating saw
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Wartex

Sunday, August 16 2009, 00:55:02 #42440     Review: Milwaukee 2420-22 M12 Hackzall sub-compact reciprocating saw

Always wanted to have a cordless mini recip saw. Finally splurged on a Milwaukee M12 Hackzall + Driver kit since it was on sale.

First impressions:
Batteries, in TTI's (Parent of Milwaukee, Ridgid, Ryobi) tradition are e-One Moli Energy's IMR18650. I was hoping they ditched eMoli for Sony/Konion or even A123 but nope... Cells are rates 1.4 Ah, 18% capacity loss after only 200 cycles.

Typical taps between cells for balancing and one terminal for a thermistor. I tested the thermistor and it works for both "too cold" (-3oC) and "too hot" condition, however it did not kick in at +50oC and charger charged toasty batteries. Per manufacturer spec 50 centigrade isn't that bad.

The saw is a bit heavy (2.6 lb or 1.18 Kg), uses standard recip saw blades which is a plus, unlike other subcompacts that use jigsaw blades. The stroke is 13mm or 1/2", length of the saw is 30cm or 11", 3000 SPM no load. Milwaukee manufacturer spec claims you can cut over 80 pieces of 1-1/2" PVC pipe. I didn't have any PVC but I did have very common 1-1/2" (3.8 CM) ABS sewage pipe.

Shoe is not adjustable so you end up with half-used blades, if you use regular blades. Milwaukee makes shorter blades to accommodate this, but the pricing I've seen so far does not justify buying them.

The saw has a 4-LED battery meter on the side which is quite accurate, however if you check the battery level immediately after using the saw it will show lower then actual charge, this is normal due to voltage sag under load. There is also a white LED shining under the shoe onto the cut area.

My test is repetitive cutting of the ABS pipe. Both batteries are charged and left on charger for balancing for several hours. Ambient temperature is 26o, blade is Dewalt multipurpose 14 TPI. Fist battery is drained with a straight cut down, 2nd is drained with straight cuts down to 80% depth and then a 90 degree turn to make the blade perpendicular to the pipe wall. 2nd method yielded better results as the blade wasn't getting bogged down as often. Blade was cooled with iced water after every 3 cuts to prevent it from melting into the pipe. I took at 10 minute break after 20 cuts.

The first battery run yielded 42 cuts and 2nd run was 50 cuts.

After repetitive cutting saw temperature was around 60oC, battery was 45-52oC.

Video:

Link on YouTube

Milwaukee page: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=2420-22
Battery spec: http://www.molicel.com/hq/product/DM_IMR18650E.pdf

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| psycheus

Wednesday, June 16 2010, 07:58:43 #43008     

Do you like this tool? I saw it the other day and like the size. I was thinking about getting it.. maybe I'll get my wife to buy it for me for fathers day.

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, June 17 2010, 00:34:11 #43011     

yes it's awesome. I recommend you buy a bare tool on ebay and buy the 6-cell batteries for it (M12 XC battery), there is a canadian sellers that sells those. It kills stock 3-cell batteries very quickly if under load. Cutting plastic is ok with 3 cell but EMT kills it after like 20 cuts.

I have a car charger too but found out the 110v chargers work fine with modified sine wave (read: cheap inverters) and cost a third of the price.

also get the 3/8" drill, it's also very nice, i have one

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, June 17 2010, 08:25:48 #43013     

What other tools from Milwaukee work with these batteries. I've heard about an impact that is very handy and small.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Thursday, June 17 2010, 20:39:44 #43014     

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductCategory.aspx?CategoryName=SC%3A+M12+Cordless+System

dozens of them

Jump to