The Quake Live Macintosh Thread

DRC Forum
» Gaming Forums
    » Quake & QuakeLive Forum
        » The Quake Live Macintosh Thread
            » Page 1 of 1

Rated X

Saturday, November 14 2009, 10:58:07 #42697     The Quake Live Macintosh Thread

The idea of this thread is to exchange tips for running QL on a Mac and etc.

So, any tips for the best performance?

What prompted this for me:
I'm running 10.6.2, Safari 4.0.4 with a 7300GT card in a Mac Pro 8-core 2.66 GHz with 12 GIG RAM and in full screen the best frame rate I can get is 60 and much more often 40 - and that's with everything on on the lowest settings. With everything set to high I get like 5 to 8 FPS. Needless to say that neither is very playable. So I figure there must be known work-arounds and solutions to this as well as any number of other optimizations that may not be widely known. Post'm up. Smile

With everything on the highest setting in regular QA3 I can get about 500 to 600 FPS though I cap it at 125 as most of us know to be optimal. In Quake4 with everything on the highest setting I get 90 ~ 100 FPS although at a slightly lower screen res. So the hardware is very capable. Or umm, capable enough - 7300GT is not really the fastest card these days. Tongue

Anyway, if you have any tips about this or any other optimizations just post it here.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rated X on 6:06, Sunday Nov 15 2009; edited 1 time in total
Profile | Send PM

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Blackshark

Saturday, November 14 2009, 16:13:34 #42699     

Get yourself a PC.
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Rated X

Sunday, November 15 2009, 05:33:50 #42700     

|DRC| Blackshark wrote:
Get yourself a PC.

Burned

I have 8 very nice Dell Precision T7500 Workstations (AKA: PCs). They're not for games. Wink No, I wanna play it on Mac. and others reading on may not have access to a PC at all. QuakeLive is available for Mac. Lets make it work. Tongue id is offering it so... I get that probably no one from the DRC clan (it's a clan right?) will likely be on a Mac. but when I searched for "quake live server hosting" this site was at the top meaning I guess it's crawled. So if any Mac guys happen by... you know... Smile

I'll also be starting a thread like this on the QL forums when I get some time.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Zyprexa

Sunday, November 15 2009, 07:43:38 #42701     

I'm afraid of all OSes I'm familiar with, I can't help you with MacOS :-) Last time I worked with a Mac is more than 10 years ago :-) Hope you get your issues resolved though
Profile | Send PM

Rated X

Sunday, November 15 2009, 09:27:18 #42702     

|DRC| Zyprexa wrote:
I'm afraid of all OSes I'm familiar with, I can't help you with MacOS :-) Last time I worked with a Mac is more than 10 years ago :-) Hope you get your issues resolved though

Thanks! Me too. Smile

It looks like it may not be a Mac issue tho. http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1564 And while everyone seems to have their own guesses and opinions no one seems to actually know what it is that causes it. Sad

Oh well, maybe some other good tips about something else Mac related will be posted? Stoned
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Marblecake

Sunday, December 6 2009, 22:50:15 #42721     

See if there are any commands in terminal you can tweak for the mac.

Jump to