Friday, July 14 2006, 01:01:11 #35538     Torque vs Horsepower

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

nice article

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Marblecake

Saturday, July 22 2006, 20:43:37 #35704     

HP is just a figure made from torque. Its like Jesus, its make believe.

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, July 22 2006, 23:54:15 #35712     

HP is a characteristic of an engine, and torque is derived from HP and RPM, and not vice versa. A good impact wrench has a shitload of torque but it's useless for driving vehicles because of very low RPM, and therefore low HP. HP is a measure of power, 1 HP = 746 watts, and not a make-believe Jesuslike figure.

|DRC| Marblecake

Sunday, July 23 2006, 16:06:23 #35728     

OK if you go to any dyno on this planet the HP is got from the torque numbers. Technically HP is a made up number. All comes from torque, any dyno tech will tell you the same thing. Its to give a reassurance of power get too hung up on a imaginary hp number doesnt mean your car will still be fast. Example...

A 600 hp rx7 runs a 10.0 to a 9.8 for instance. While a 1000 hp supra runs the same time and both cars are the same weight. Thearticle makes it clear how torque is the deciding factor. I will have to look up and old article I have about it.

Also torque can determine if your car is a first or second half track car.

OK now the draw back with the rx7 compaired to supra is how the power is used. A rx7 can launch out the hole on a supra by say 4 cars and be ahead but once the supra gets chugging along they are practically even at the end. There are many other factors involved but I figure I would give a quick instance.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, July 24 2006, 02:37:25 #35732     

A 600 hp rx7 runs a 10.0 to a 9.8 for instance. While a 1000 hp supra runs the same time and both cars are the same weight.

Do they have the same gear ratio and the same RPM curve during test?

Anonymous

Monday, July 24 2006, 16:07:23 #35735     

I remember when rotary engine mazdas in autocross and other racing were put in there own catagory because they didnt know how to rate there hp. So they would blow by anything on the track that was in the same race catagory. Damn those things are loud without mufflers!!!

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, July 25 2006, 21:10:26 #35761     

I gave the example. RX7's have good tq and can rev to 15000 in upgraded versions. Most supras have tq in higher rpm range and pick up in later gears. This is what makes your a car or first or second half track car. Just picture the supra as a bomb, once the timer goes off you cant stop it. Hense the time relation to its powerband.

Side ? why are 12a and 13b rx7's sometimes considered to be in a 6 cylinder class.

Now also name the 2 cars which use a low and high rpm turbo"twin setup"

Last edited by |DRC| Marblecake on 8:48, Thursday Jul 27 2006; edited 2 times in total

|DRC| psycheus

Wednesday, July 26 2006, 20:49:02 #35788     

|DRC| Marblecake wrote:
Side ? why are 12a and 13b rx7's sometimes considered to be in a 6 cylinder class.

Now also name the 2 cars which use a low and high rpm turbo"twin setup"

I know this one.. Very happy ..

wankle engine technically has 6 combustion chambers, hence the 6 cylinder class, however it's small 1.3 liter engine.

2 cars with sequential turbo setups are 3 gen rx and late 90's supera.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Marblecake

Thursday, July 27 2006, 08:47:14 #35796     

Very good sir Rick but now why is that it has a low and high turbo. NO googling. Heres a hint....... It has to to with how the motors are setup.

I am also trying to buy this one turboII rx7 right now. Going back to my rotary roots. Hopefully I get this one I have in mind. All white turboII, which i have a complete turbo setup for and fuel aswell.

Here is another ? which can help with power of a rotary. Why cant you boost over 18psi on a rotary motor without this certaint process done to it. Also if you can answer what happens to the motor when you do go over that psi without this done.

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, July 27 2006, 09:00:28 #35798     

|DRC| Marblecake wrote:
Very good sir Rick but now why is that it has a low and high turbo. NO googling. Heres a hint....... It has to to with how the motors are setup.

I am also trying to buy this one turboII rx7 right now. Going back to my rotary roots. Hopefully I get this one I have in mind. All white turboII, which i have a complete turbo setup for and fuel aswell.

Here is another ? which can help with power of a rotary. Why cant you boost over 18psi on a rotary motor without this certaint process done to it. Also if you can answer what happens to the motor when you do go over that psi without this done.

The motor has very low torque and it helps with turbo lag, I think?.. That's sweet, have you seen mine? I had a 89 TII red. It was a bad ass and it was only stock.

More pics.. http://gallery.psycheus.com/displayimage.php?album=16&pos=23

APEX seals get toasted. 3mm are recommended for boost. 2mm can't hold boost as well.. Smile

|DRC| Marblecake

Thursday, July 27 2006, 09:09:42 #35803     

Wrong about the apex seals. Most 3mm are used because some trashed the journals for the 2mm seals. Built a 13b with 500hp+ on 2mm seals. YOur fuel is key and also getting rid of the oil metering pump which sprays rotors with oil. This causes tons of build up on the rotors,side seals, and apex seals. Not to mention how damaged springs get before actual seals.< Springs are not coil spring type, just to give everyone the proper info.

The reason for sequential turbos is because they are single bank motors. NO V configuration. Drag racing single is prefered. For novice autocrossers use a twin setup.

Very clean TII. I remember that pic.

But to make high psi on a rotary you need to pin the motor. Over 18psi the motor can twist and seperate. Causing seals to fly apart and could cause the flywheel to go for a flight straight through the hood.

Anonymous

Saturday, July 29 2006, 06:55:23 #35819     

Good stuff, guys... very interesting!

I will have to dig up the pictures of my car toys and post them for you. I think you would enjoy them.

Let's see... what did I have. Oh, yes! One of the cars I had was a red twin turbo 1993 RX7. Damn... that car was fast!! I dusted a bird doing 105 mph one night... I was 'tach'ing 2200 rpm. It redlined at 6500 or 7000, I think. What would those extra 4000 rpm get me in top end? Hmmmm??

No doubt in my mind... that was a 150 - 160 mph car!!! I had a hard time off the line, tho. The tires would 'hop'. I couldn't get used to the turbo action. It handled much differently off the line than all my other cars. However, on curves and windy roads, that car acted like it was GLUED to the road. Awesome!

At that same time I had an all-original 1966 427ci/390hp Corvette coupe. The unique part about the Vette was it had 16 factory options... including a 3.08 rear. I got 21 mpg with that car. It wasn't great for off the line... but that sucka would fly!!!

I always wondered which car was faster at top end: the twin turbo RX7 or the '66 Vette.

|DRC| psycheus

Saturday, July 29 2006, 14:13:52 #35831     

That's a tough call.. Both are very fast but I'd have to say probably the RX-7 b/c it's lighter and really goes on the top end.. I don't know it would be close.

Anonymous

Sunday, July 30 2006, 01:59:52 #35839     

I dunno about that...

The RX7 weighed about 2800 lbs. It had 81 ci... 280 hp
The Vette weighed about 3100 lbs -- had 427 ci and 390 hp.

You guys should have been around in '93. I sold the RX7 with only 1400 miles on it. I found that getting in the car was no problem... but I couldn't get out because of my back problems. Sweet ride...

At 60 mph the Vette tach'ed 1800 rpm... redline at 5500 or 6000, if I remember correctly. I started in first or second gear... made little difference. But the repro tires on the Vette were terrible... no, I mean TERRIBLE! They weren't even radials... 'cuz they didn't have radials in '66. I used 1/2 tank of Sunoco 93 (or 94) and 1/2 tank of CAM2 racing fuel. Tried to get aviation gas, but local airport wouldn't sell it to me for the car. Bastids!

If I find the photos, how can I post them. Isn't there a page that tells how to do that?

Also had a '65 Vette with prototype LS-6 engine. 460hp... whew!! That's a story I will have to tell you some time!! Yes

|DRC| Marblecake

Sunday, July 30 2006, 09:58:26 #35844     

Remember all Jap sport cars are rated 280 for there insurance reasons. A 94 TT 300zx actually makes 330. THe supra the same and the gtr's were just in another ball park around 400. SLow and Oldie I am sure you remembr the same thing with the US muscle cars with the huge sport packages and saying they made low HP and were way up there in all actuality.

Now with torque, how many people have seen little mazda r100's pull wheelies the whole track and still run a 9. They are rotary.

Jump to