» Page 1 of 1

Will you upgrade to Windows 7?
5 (71%) I will.
0 (0%) Hell No! Too many issues!
2 (28%) Someday when its stable!
Total Votes : 7
Total Voters : 7
|DRC| Iceman

Thursday, February 18 2010, 21:14:11 #42857     Windoze 7?

Anyone upgrade to Windoze 7 yet? ...I have heard some horror stories, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
Profile | Send PM

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Blackshark

Thursday, February 18 2010, 21:29:26 #42858     

i am running the release candidate for about a year and the rc is perfectly stable! never had any problems with applications or drivers, or games for that matter.
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, February 19 2010, 00:27:41 #42859     

I dual boot XP/Win 7. Haven't had any problems with win7, also get to use all 6 GB of RAM in it (XP can only see 3.5 GB).

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Syntax

Friday, February 19 2010, 12:00:05 #42861     

|DRC| Wartex wrote:
(XP can only see 3.5 GB).

Most full screen programs will use all of your RAM though; just windows itself registers 3.5gb.

I have a windows 7 ultimate disc laying around somewhere, just haven't bothered to use it, XP hasn't pissed me off that badly yet.

|DRC| Iceman

Friday, February 19 2010, 17:49:57 #42863     

I was giving some thought to upgrading then I heard a couple horror stories, and people said not to upgrade.......I never did upgrade to Vista as I heard it was difficult finding drivers, and was not compatible with as much software/games as XP.

Since I bought a 1Tb. hard drive and backed up everything, I have been giving some thought to doing a reformat and fresh install and was considering the thought of buying Windows 7. I just don't want to do it if it is going to cause me pain Paranoid

For those of you that are using Windows 7, did you 'upgrade' or install a full version? Any pros/cons to doing either?
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Wartex

Friday, February 19 2010, 19:30:29 #42866     

There is no way to "upgrade" from XP to 7. It's always a fresh install. There is some rudimentary "migration" but it's useless. As for stability, win7 is very stable.

Syntax ROFL

There is addressable space of RAM and windows can't enumerate more than 4 GB because it's 32-bit. Max 32 bit-represented unsigned integer is 4,294,967,295, of which 512 MB is reserved for videocard and other I/O shit. Apps never access RAM directly. CPU on the other hand can do much more than 32 bit addressing, so when you get 64 bit XP you can see more RAM. There is also no such thing as "fullscreen" program. There are programs that use different video modes.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Syntax

Friday, February 19 2010, 19:37:40 #42867     

Well then that whole argument on some retarded forum I saw was moot point. I gots 8gb sitting in my 32bit XP Very happy

Why? Cause I had windows vista ultimate, and it kept blue screening due to lack of drivers.
Profile | Send PM | AIM

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, February 20 2010, 00:32:10 #42869     

Yeah finding drivers is my other fear.......thats why I never got Vista, or switched over to XP 64 bit even though I could.
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Blackshark

Saturday, February 20 2010, 08:25:29 #42870     

maybe finding drivers back in 2004 was a problem but not anymore. 32bit is a dying kind of hard/software. there is only a problem if you are trying to use your 10 year old webcam or stuff like that which does not receive any support from its vendor anymore.

btw i am running 12Gb of ram perfectly on win7 64bit
Profile | Send PM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, February 20 2010, 11:04:16 #42871     

Good point. My system is not exactly considered 'new' now though Sad ......When it was put together it was a pretty decent machine, and all in all still is for what I use it for Smile

I think I will need to do some checking and make sure I can get drivers for my components first before taking the plunge Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, February 23 2010, 19:53:30 #42884     

7 works fine for me. No problems at all.

|DRC| pyromace

Saturday, February 27 2010, 10:07:10 #42886     

We're running Win7 on some of our new render nodes at work and it seems to run just fine. Plus the fact that we can utilize all the ram makes it well worth it. I want to upgrade on my own machine but I don't want to shell out the ca$h for it right now and I'm not a fan of using pirated OSes.
Profile | Send PM

Jump to