DRC Forum | Register | Log in | Forum help | Search

x86 code compression in demoscene executables

DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Programming
        » x86 code compression in demoscene executables
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Wartex

Sunday, August 7 2011, 20:48:06 #43682     x86 code compression in demoscene executables

This is about the secret ingredient in my EXE packer kkrunchy, which was used in our (Farbrausch) 64k intros starting from fr-030: Candytron, and also in a lot of other 64k intros or similarly size-limited productions by other groups including several well-known 64ks from other groups such as Conspiracy, Equinox and Fairlight, Im happy to add.

There are two primary versions of kkrunchy. The first one was developed between 2003 and 2005 and uses a fairly simple LZ77 coder with arithmetic coding backend, designed to have good compression and a small depacker (about 300 bytes when using hand-optimized x86 code). If youre interested in the details, a simplified C++ version of the depacker that I then used to write the ASM code from is still available here (of the various programs Ive written, this is still one of my favorites: its just nice to have something so fundamentally simple thats actually useful).

more >> http://fgiesen.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/x86-code-compression-in-kkrunchy/

Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

Jump to