DRC Forum
» Personal Interests
    » Automotive
        » Yay, I got a car
            » Page 1 of 1

|DRC| Wartex

Saturday, October 21 2006, 03:09:13 #37132     Yay, I got a car

1994 Toyota Camry

My stepfather gave it to me today. 247,000 km but runs ok. I will post pics later.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

Sponsored Ad

Today #     Sponsored Ads

|DRC| Death

Saturday, October 21 2006, 03:47:17 #37133     

Cool. We're still working in mph Sad. When we was in Canada more or less every sign was high because it was in km and we was almost foot to the board until we heard someone say it was km ROFL
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| Iceman

Saturday, October 21 2006, 11:19:00 #37137     

Thats awesome bro! It's nice to have some support from your family Smile That is what family should do Smile
Profile | Send PM

|DRC| Death

Saturday, October 21 2006, 14:15:54 #37143     

What? Foot to the board in 50kmph zones? ROFL

j/k Smile

Congrats Wartex
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | ICQ

|DRC| Zyprexa

Sunday, October 22 2006, 06:47:13 #37160     

Nice! I've always said, that by the time I get my first car, I will be 30 Wink
Profile | Send PM

OLDie

Sunday, October 22 2006, 14:35:19 #37161     

Good luck with your new car! Good

|DRC| psycheus

Thursday, October 26 2006, 08:24:53 #37307     

Nice! Congrats on the new car War. My other car is the upgrade to the Camry, 1998 Toyota Avalon. I believe it has the same motor and they are very reliable cars.
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Wartex

Monday, October 30 2006, 19:28:21 #37477     

How do I fix the alignment without shelling out $150?

Question is, what do I need to adjust and what tools do I need? (Didn't get my hands on the mechanics of it yet, so asking here)
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, October 31 2006, 01:14:02 #37492     

Damn 150 for an alignment. Thats nuts. You have to check the rear but you are more worried about the front on a camry. When you align the rear depending on the setup, its usually a matter of 2 bolts and pushing the wheels like a matter od a half inch. The front you have to check camber and toe. Toe is what makes the tire wear even. Negative and the outside of the tires wear, positive and the inside wear. Also and easy check for everyone out there.

While front of car is lifted... Place hands at 9 and 3 on the tires. Shake it back and forth. If there is a tone of movement check you inner and outter tie rods.
Now at 12 and 6 shake the tire. This checks ball joints.

NOTE: This can also show if you have bad wheel bearings aswell. None of these repairs should be done without an alignment rack... It may save you money but it will cost you more in a month or so. Also on bigger trucks the steering box can come into play so can pitman arms. These parts are on say like a Ford F150 and other trucks of that nature. Also some rear alignments take shims. Small parts made at different sizes.

Tools needed to adjust a camry front end are usually a 22mm or 24mm wrench and a pair of channel locks, I think it can be a 14mm wrench to turn the inner tie rod. The outter tie rod nuts can be a pain. I usually have to heat them with a torch on older cars. Wartex do not try to align your car at your house. Have someone with a alignment rack do it.

|DRC| psycheus

Tuesday, October 31 2006, 09:19:14 #37498     

Ya it's possible to do a "tape measure alignment" but not recommended. I agree w/ Marble I've done this type of thing in the past just to get my car driving strait to get to an alignment shop after doing some work to spindles. Just price around I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else. $150 is a bit much!
Profile | Send PM | WWW | AIM | SKYPE

|DRC| Marblecake

Tuesday, October 31 2006, 10:44:03 #37499     

Front end alignments are 50 bucks at my shop. They take a matter of 10 mins to do. We dont charge much at my shop because of who is there. My boss is a mechanical engineer and a ford master mechanic, then the other tech is a master mechanic. I am low man on totum pole there, but they placed me there because of my skill. Then we have our pee on. This is why we charge so cheap. It makes people want to come back.

ANother note to people. If your car does not have grease fittings on ball joints and outer tie rods there is a trick. If you have a grease gun they make a needle for it. It makes a small puncture in the boot so grease can be injected in to LUBE these parts. So dont get pissed if you do not see a grease nipple on these parts. The needles cost 5 bucks each for cheaper ones. My snap on set cost me about 80.
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | MSN | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| Messiah

Tuesday, October 31 2006, 15:44:16 #37516     

Buy new tires. Depending on where you go you will get free balance and alignment with new tires!

Profile | Send PM | SKYPE | ICQ

|DRC| SLIM

Wednesday, November 1 2006, 16:10:12 #37570     

I drove an 88 Camry that had over 200,000 miles for a while. Those bitches do last forever
Profile | Send PM | AIM | YIM | SKYPE

Jump to